In honor of the legacy of its late chairman and CEO Bernard J. Tyson, Kaiser Permanente has committed a $1 million grant to the American Heart Association's Bernard J. Tyson Impact Fund.
The national fund, led by AHA and Tyson's widow, Denise Bradley-Tyson, was created with the mission to reduce the social and economic barriers to health equity by investing in local social entrepreneurs and organizations.
Tyson, who spent 30 years with Kaiser and became its CEO in 2013, passed away unexpectedly on November 10, 2019. During his tenure, he addressed social determinants of health factors such as economic opportunity and housing security.
Greg A. Adams, chairman and CEO of Kaiser Permanente said, "As we have seen with COVID-19's disproportionate health and social impacts on Black, Latinx, and other underserved communities, it's clear that there is far more work to be done. We are proud to honor Bernard's memory and help continue his life's work with this contribution."
America's Health Insurance Plans board of directors has elected Humana president and CEO Bruce B. Broussard to serve as chair for 2021. He succeeds 2020 Board Chair Ken Burdick, CEO of WellCare Health Plans.
Broussard said, "It has never been more urgent to innovate and lead, especially due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in making a positive difference in shaping the future of healthcare."
Broussard joins eight newly-elected board members:
- Gregory E. Deavens, executive vice president, CFO, treasurer, president and CEO-elect, Independence Health Group
- Cain A. Hayes, president and CEO, Gateway Health
- Diane P. Holder, president and CEO, UPMC Health Plan
- Dr. Sachin H. Jain, MD, president and CEO, SCAN Group and SCAN Health Plan
- Virgil R. Miller, executive vice president and COO, Aflac U.S.
- Erhardt Preitauer, president and CEO, CareSource
- Jared Short, president, COO and CEO-elect, Cambia Health Solutions
- Paul A. Tufano, chairman and CEO, AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies
Email the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn on-demand, earn credit, find products and solutions. Get Started >>