It seems hospitals and health systems are pretty good places to work. That's one of the takeaways from Forbes' annual list of America's Best Employers, as healthcare organizations nabbed 25 out of the top 100 slots in the large employer category -- a full 25 percent, better than the other industries that were represented on the list.
The rankings were based on a Statista survey of 30,000 American workers, asking them, on a scale of zero to 10, how likely they were to recommend their organization to friends or family. That was the most important factor in determining a company's ranking, but the workers were also asked to recommend other companies besides their own, which factored into the results as well.
Memorial Hermann Health System, a nonprofit with 16 hospitals and more than a dozen other health centers, was the highest-ranking healthcare company on the list, coming in at fourth overall. MD Anderson Cancer Center, Penn Medicine and the Mayo Clinic also placed in the top 10.
Among all companies, wholesale retailer Costco topped this year's ranking, the third time in three years that it's placed in the top three. Google came in second, slipping one slot after topping last year's list, and outdoor gear retailer Recreational Equipment Inc., or REI, came in third.
The full list of healthcare organizations placing in the top 100 is below, along with each workplace's ranking.
- Memorial Hermann Health System (4th)
- MD Anderson Cancer Center (6th)
- Penn Medicine (7th)
- Mayo Clinic (8th)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (14th)
- Winthrop University Hospital (18th)
- The Christ Hospital Health Network (24th)
- Lee Memorial Health System (29th)
- University of Texas Health Science Center (31st)
- Covenant Health (38th)
- University of Colorado Health (40th)
- Promedica (42nd)
- Sharp HealthCare (45th)
- Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare (47th)
- Partners Healthcare System (49th)
- Houston Methodist (51st)
- UCSF Medical Center (52nd)
- Yale New Haven Health (57th)
- Johns Hopkins Medicine (65th)
- Home Instead Senior Care (78th)
- Loyola University Medical Center (82nd)
- HonorHealth (88th)
- Sparrow Health System (97th)
- Texas Children's Hospital (98th)
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital (99th)