Topics
More on Workforce

What millennial doctors want when job hunting, and reasons they leave

The new survey, based on answers from nearly 600 young physicians, provides insight into how millennials find their first positions.

Jeff Lagasse, Associate Editor

The vast majority of millennial physicians -- 93 percent -- own and use a smartphone, but they rarely use social media when looking for work, with only one percent finding employment via social media, according to a new survey from healthcare staffing company CompHealth.

The survey, administered to nearly 600 young physicians, provides hiring insights for hospitals into how millennials find their first positions, what they want in a job and why they change jobs.

[Also: Doctors tend to locate in affluent areas whereas nurses follow the need, study shows]

Social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Doximity played an extremely minimal role, for instance, whereas 40 percent of placements were the result of referrals and networking.

Finding the right fit is the leading concern for 60 percent of young doctors looking for jobs. But only 35 percent of men and 23 percent of women attribute culture fit as a reason they left a place of employment.

The biggest reasons for leaving among young doctors were compensation (59 percent), work/life balance (51 percent) and bad management (45 percent). Divided by gender, 69 percent of men identified compensation as the largest reason for leaving a position, while 56 percent of women cited poor work/life balance.

What's more, while 26 percent of respondents indicated they had no debt, the remaining 74 percent have substantial debt -- 19 percent owe between $100,000 and $199,999, and 44 percent owe more than $200,000.

Fourteen percent of physicians, meanwhile, tried out locum tenens, or temporary staffing work early in their career, with compensation being a driving factor for taking on these assignments.

Twitter: @JELagasse
Email the writer: jeff.lagasse@himssmedia.com

Show All Comments